- The world’s biggest Chinatown is situated in Bangkok.
- Thailand is the only country in South East Asia that wasn’t colonized by a western power.
- The Thai greeting “sawatdee” Originated during the Second World War. Prior to that, the usual greeting was to ask people whether they had eaten yet.
- Bangkok currently holds the Guinness world record for having the longest name of a place. Bangkok is actually the short version. The city’s ceremonial name is “krung thep mahanakhon amon rattanakosin mahinthara yuthaya mahadilok phop noppharat ratchathani burirom udomratchainiwet mahasathan amon piman awatan sathit sakkathattiya witsanukam prasit”. Now I challenge you to say it……..backwards.
- According to the World Meteorological Organization, Bangkok is the hottest capital city in the world. It may not be the hottest city in the world every day, but it’s certainly consistent in keeping with its reputation.
- Thailand also holds a large number of Guinness world records, including those for the man with the longest hair, the biggest hamburger, biggest restaurant, largest ever aerobic workout, and also for the most linked skydivers.
- In Thailand, both Father’s Day and Mother’s Day are celebrated to commemorate the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and the Queen.
- It is called the “land of smiles,” because of its ever smiling, inviting, soft spoken, friendly, and hospitable residents.
- Red Bull, the famous energy drink, originates in Thailand and was originally called red gaur.
Student: Chabuskhan Hamdalee